Custom Search

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ron Wood's autobiography reviewed!


So of course we all know that Ron Wood is the guitarist of The Rolling Stones who isn't Keith Richards and before that he was some in other bands that nobody cares about except The Faces, that band Rod Stewart was in before he went solo, if you care about footnotes of rock. Anways, I got this for my dad for Christmas and he liked it. Then he let me borrow it so I read it and here's my thoughts on it.

First off, Ron Wood is a bit unfocused in writings. He would be all over the place with time for one page he's talking about the death of John Belushi and then the next he's talking about the release of Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You which came before Belushi's death. It's not a big detriment but it did confuse me for a bit. Also, he has a dry wit that's kinda funny. Like in Caddyshack when Bill Murray is talking about his experience with the Dhali Lama and it ends with a non-chalant "Which is nice." Same thing here like when Wood is talking about the Bridges to Babylon tour he then, nonchantly, mentions that some dates were postponed cause Keith Richards fell off a ladder.

I guess that's the main problem with this is the fact that everything happens before Ron joins the Stones just isn't that awesome. I'm not saying it's bad or uninteresting but when you get involved with things that involve Keith Richards then everything else falls by the wayside. And honestly, these are some pretty awesome stories:

-Keith Richards hated Stephen Stills cause he couldn't do drugs right...what he meant by this we will never know
-Keith Richards was armed to the teeth and when he pulled out his .45, he usually said "I'll give 45 reasons to *insert something here*
-Charlie Watts nearly threw Mick Jagger out of a window cause Jagger referred to him as "his drummer"
-If Charlie Watts says your band is awesome, then dammit it is!
-John Belushi tried to steal Wood's wife but since he was fat and ugly, Wood didn't consider him a threat and Belushi never succeeded.
-The manager of Led Zepplin introduced himself to Wood and Bob Dylan. Dylan replied "Hey, I don't come to you with my problems."

For what it is, it's a decent read. It's not as good as Eric Clapton's book and nowhere near as awesome as Motley Crue's book...then I don't think nothing will ever be as awesome as that. So I'm recommending this only to Stones or Classic Rock fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment