Custom Search

Monday, December 29, 2008

Wall-E DVD Packaging....and why it more aggrivating than innovating

Ok, here's another one of my Christmas presents. It was Wall-E the 3-Disc DVD Edition...well technically 2 since the Digital Copy doesn't count. But I'm not going to be talking about the movie or the other fancy DVD extras. I am going to be talking about my experience with the actual packaging. Granted, the photo below is the single disc edition but we can imagine things right.....right?


Good, so just imagine.....are you looking at this or looking at how adorable Wall-E is? Don't worry, I understand for I find him adorable. Ok, you can stop looking at him now and going "Awwwwww, isn't he adorable" we have some work to do. What? You still looking at him. Ok, fine I'll do the work. This text will still be here when you decide to read it. I'll wait for you to...or will I?

Ha! Not so adorable now with his mustache. And to make sure you aren't going to look at EVE or MO and get distracted at how adorable they are I drew mustaches on them too, ha ha ha ha ha! Now it's imagination time and you will imagine what I'll tell you. Imagine two pull tabs at the left and right at the center of the sleeve. And at the top, I beige banner saying "3-Disc Edition". And we're done, see it wasn't too hard or too long...and hey hey hey hey, stop scrolling up to look at the undoctored adorable photo of Wall-E.

Ok, eyes here? Good. Now at the surface thinks look normal for a DVD case. Then you try to open it and you realize...this doesn't open like a book like normal DVD cases! But wait, you use the pull tabs. So you use the left pull tab but there's only one DVD and there's no center snap-on thingy to securely fasten the DVD. Without that center snap-on thingy the DVD can just slip and slide all over since that pouch looks flimsy and weak. So you put the it back but it's slides all over the place and not in the tiny slit that it really goes into so you have to finagle it until it goes in. Then you pull the right pulltab and it's even worse. Two DVD's stacked almost on top of each other. Did they learn nothing from the Sin City collector edition DVD? That sort of set-up makes everything more frustrating for the digital copy disc is on top. So you have to get the digital copy disc and get the other disc out. That's a horrible way to do it for lazy and easily confused people. Sure, no other disc has done this kind of layout but just because it wan't done before doesn't mean it should be done ever.

Oh well, at least the movie is awesome enough to make the rest of Pixar movies to horribly suck by comparision.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't really had that much trouble with my Wall-E three disc. For some reason, I imagine the 2001: A Space Odyssey opening music playing as you're trying to get the DVD opened properly and screaming like a monkey.

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete