Custom Search

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Film critics that I read

Now since I review movies for a hobby on Flixters on Facebook I think I may share film critics that I read on a regular basis. There's five of them: Arrow in the Head, JoBlo(and his constituents), Roger Ebert, James Berardinelli and Richard Scheib. Each has their different styles and I want to show you what I see in each of them.

Arrow in the Head - Yes, he's pretty much retarded and he overuses his catchphrases. His overuse of "mucho" makes me hate the Spanish language and everything about it. And his reviews aren't too much to write about either. All in all, he kinda gives horror fans a bad rep for being idiots. So why do I torture myself with them you ask. He breaks down his reviews in sections with two that are worth reading, one of them is gore and the other is nudity. And with most horror films containing these glorious things, you can find out if it's actually worth watching.

Joblo - So this is where things get a wee bit complicated. The real JoBlo barely reviews anymore but when he did, he was basically did what Arrow did but smarter and better written. He was like the people's critic only not as condescending like Arrow. Then he got an ulcer or something like that and basically stopped so he got two others. One is Chris Bumbay who is so forgettable I don't have anything to say about him. The other is JimmyO who is really good. He is the true people's critic who isn't a condescending ass like JoBlo or Arrow.

Roger Ebert - Yes, I have to include the legend and he's is everything the legend says he is. He is elegant, he knows his movies and at times he's funny. But there's a flaw in his writings, he seems to only come alive when he's ripping into something he deems bad or horrible. The more he likes something the more he just goes by facts and the less he goes by feelings. The only real positive reviews I usually read from Ebert is for movies that I already want to see, but if he rates a movie below two-stars I'll read it no matter what.

James Berardinelli
- When you combine the elequonce of Ebert and the lack of BS with JoBlo you have James Berardinelli. And unlike Ebert, when he does like something you can tell that he likes it instead of just knowing he likes it cause he's blabbering on some useless crap. And actually, that's pretty much it. He's always consistent and he always is readable.

Richard Scheib
- He is a name that really isn't known. He only reviews movies in three genres: fantasy, horror and science-fiction. When you try to find his reviews on IMDB external review pages, he's almost at the bottom and you probably have to do a Ctrl+F to find him. But he is the guy I trust the most whenever he reviews things. For one thing, me and him have a 90% agreement rate and we're usually in agreement of what works and doesn't work. The main reason I like him is that he's a hardcore film scholar. All the reviews he has there's a history lesson on who made it and how he feels on it. Even if you don't agree with him, you'll always going to learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment