Custom Search

Monday, February 8, 2010

Movie Review: The Book of Eli


Hello all. Sorry for my lack of posts but my computers internet has been temporarily suspended pending a new way of funds. This makes blogging a little tougher so that I have to go to a B-n-N to get the internet and have access to my stuff. In any case, I saw Book of Eli a while ago, I think about a week after its release in December or January, at one of the late showings where no one was in the theater, which is what I prefer if I'm going by myself anyway, and trying to trudge that up now, I will do my best to sum up what I thought.

Plot Summary: The Book of Eli is a post apocalyptic story where Denzel (the Stranger) is traveling to the West, protecting the last known James King Bible that he carries with him. Along the way he meets cannibals, lunatics, and has to survive the harsh wasteland to continue on his path.

Like - - - - -
Overall direction: Although this is not one of Denzels best films, it was not one of his worst - in fact I think between good writing, acting, and direction, the movie holds up as a decent film. There are a lot of similar themes going on that you see in past films, but there is enough unique stuff to keep things fresh, at least a little bit.

Production values: This film had a good budget and the world believable. If you can do that you're on the right track.

Characters: Although you can categorize most of the characters in the film in typical categories, there's enough of a variation there to have their own touch, and the performances by the principles was top notch. Even some of the minor characters are well done. It was nice to see Denzel as a badass at times but at other times he was vulnerable as well.

The Twist - I can't say what it is, but the moment it was revealed, it slapped me across the face and just made me realize how blind I was to it, and how I should have picked up on it from moment one. Maybe I was a bit too distracted by the FallOut feel of the world.

Religion: Like this isn't a given, but it's more or less a religious story about a mans' pilgrimage and his devotion to that and how he won't be stopped. Also, the bible is seen as the new "weapon of mass destruction" which is an interesting but valid take on it.

The Title: I have to point out the title because of it's ambiguity and how it fits the movie so well. Are they talking about the Book or The Person? In my research a person named Eli is mentioned in the Bible. so there is relevance up front if you know your bible. Of course, when you watch the movie, you'll agree that the title will fit even more with the film. Just go see it.

Didn't Like - - - - - -
I can't think of a whole like that I particularly did not like about the film. Maybe the only thing that made me think twice was the crazy cannibal lady showing up multiple times, and oh boy, ther are beastly cannibal men around the corner. Oh, did I mention there were cannibals in this movie?
Oh, some of the acting was a bit weak at times, and there were some actors (at least I think so) who were typecast. Did I say character typecast? Okay, check.

Indifferent about - - - - -
Fallout: From minute one, all I could think about was how similar this was to Fallout (a video game), or Mad Max, or any of those films that do a similar type of story (I felt REALLY strong about FallOut, cause I'm a freak like that). For me this wasn't necessarily a bad thing since the Brotherhood wasn't walking around or anything like that. But the constant threat of cannibals was a little much, but realistic I suppose.

Nuclear war - it's obvious that the war that happened 30 years before this story was a nuclear war, and honestly, it's on the cusp of it being overdone now. I'm personally getting a little burnt out on the idea. Yes it's still relevent to todays global community, but how bout we bring back the Aliens from Mars or something? Nothing like old school to school the new school.

Final Verdict: Because of its genre a lot of people won't see it I'm sure, but I think it's got a bit of the old with enough new that it's an interesting view, rather you go to the theater or watch it at home. This is one of the those films you can do either in and not sacrifice the movie's 'bang' potential. Although I'm not shouting to the heavens to go see it, I think you should see it sometime. See it when it suits you, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what's in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment