Custom Search

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tetris, the NES version: An apocalyptic log

 

It's dark and lonely.  My mind is bored with things.  I feel it's time to start up the ol' emulator but I don't feel like failing at Earthworm Jim again.  Hmmm...I know, what about Tetris.  Everyone loves Tetris.  But I don't feel like playing the Best of Entertainment version of Tetris.  I feel like going old-school...or slightly in the same age school.  I want to play the NES version and not just any old NES version, the real NES version, not the Tengen one or whatever it's called.  They're the company that made those Bible games and everyone of those games were unlicensed NES products...just like their version of Tetris.  Let's fire it up.

 

The title screen.  All in it's bright, shiny and 8-bit glory.  I could look at it forever but I'm not a moron.  I got some gaming to do.


Hmmm, which type of game and music do I want to play?  I might as well play the A-Type since it's a real Tetris game.  The B-Type is just playing a level until you eliminate 25 lines, why would I want to play that.  The cute animations?  Maybe.  But now is not the time to gawk at some cute animations.  It's time to start playing some real Tetris.  BUT WAIT!  What about the music?  I'll just go with Music-1, the classic Tetris theme and it's the only music to play Tetris by!  Granted, Music-3 is a much better composition but it's not really Tetris playing music, now is it?


Ah, but where do I start?  Do I start small and slow or do I start big and fast?  But the fun of Tetris was starting small and slow then building its way to a blizzard of speed and precision where the tiniest mistake gets you killed.  So it's off to Level 0 for me.


The game begins.  The playing field is barren and empty.  The blocks seem to be a metallic blue shape.  But no matter, the game only goes forward.  It holds no mercy and it stops for no one.  Besides the start button but that doesn't count.  But there's not time for any small talk, for we TETRIS!


The blocks fall slowly into place.  But they're in all the wrong places.  None of them are in a position where I can decrease the lines...but my time will come.


It will come.


And it has!  Now the colors are a sickly green thing.  It looks like puke.  But normal puke, not this ultra-puke crap that's all orange and gross.  But I keep working my way down to the floor again.  Soon, this green shade will not stand at all!


The colors have changed into a pink-ish thing.  That's ok.  Pink is rugged and manly and pleasant to look at.  Also, I see the floor!  Soon, I'll have this round under my control.


Oh well, easy come and easy go.


The colors have all changed to a mixture of all the other colors.  Except pink for some reason.  But not matter, there's still a game to win and I have made a couple mistakes.  But I bounce back.  I always bounce back.  Why shouldn't I?  I'm the most awesomest person ever so this is nothing.


And the colors have changed into some combination of pink and green.  There's no metal or blue but why do I concern my mind with these trivial manners.  I still have a round to survive.  But that's nothing.  I always survive because I have to.


And the lines are going down.


The floor!  Victory shall be assured!

Just a couple mistakes.  It's not a big deal, I just have to keep on knocking the lines down.


Wait?  What the hell?  What did I do?  This can't be happening!


No no no no no no no no!


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!




Ah well, it was fun.  Now to play something else.


No comments:

Post a Comment