Custom Search

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Midnight Write - Issue # 7 - End of an Era

I just had one of the weirdest things happen to me today. Some of you might not really get it, but that's okay.

The Decrepit Intrepid is no longer mine. My 1994 Dodge Intrepid, my first car, has been traded in for something newer, that will last, that isn't slowly decaying before my eyes.

For weeks I combed internet pages and car lots for something that was used but didn't need a ton of work, to replace something that I might have hopped would have lasted forever.

But now it's gone. And I can't help but thinking it's a sign.

Times are tough for everyone. Despite having a second job, where I might have some financial stability, it's tough in other ways, I have almost no social life, and I miss my friends dearly. Even though that live close enough to drive to I never see cause I work so much.

But back on track, I say it's the end of an era because buying a car is owning up to a major responsibility. It felt like I was in this dream-scape and that one day I would just wake up and all would be right with the world.

But I have left it and found the world to be even harder than I had suspected. You might call me ignorant or just blind, but this major shift of something so familiar now gone seemed to have stirred something. It's subtle, not overwhelming, but I recognized its existence. Somehow, everything has changed.

It's a new ball game now.

The last reminder of an old life is gone now. Perhaps this was one of the ties I needed to let go, to know that those days of the Decrepit were behind me.

I don't have much love for cars. I'm not into the tech stuff though I acknowledge the craftsmanship that it takes for one, and I think now I realize more than ever the emotional value in one.

I'm not sure this is really going anywhere. In the end I still am in the same place. I have a new challenge in front of me, perhaps I'm more motivated now. I'm not stained the past like I used to be. The year 2010 is turning into something interesting. More on a personal level than professional, though it wasn't my intention, perhaps it was required first before other things followed. Only time, as always, will tell with things like this.

My hands ache a bit now, so I'll stop here. Good night internet world.

No comments:

Post a Comment