Custom Search

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Kick-Ass: Vol. 1 Reviewed


A little bit ago I reviewed the movie adaptation of Kick-Ass, and the reason I saw the movie was that I caught a glimpse of the book beforehand. So after the movie I decided to grab the book to compare.

If you read my Kick Ass the movie review then all you need to know from that is that there is a similar premise established, a kid goes to to be a real life superhero, so what I won't go into those details again. Instead I will try to focus more on what is different, and what I prefer better. Warning, potential spoilers in this review.

Story: Again. Basically the same although there's less focus on Red Mist, the mafia, and the other characters and more on Kick-Ass.

Characters: Overall is the same lead cast with some differences in the smaller background and supporting roles. The biggest thing between them is that their motivations, at least Red Mist's, seem more clearly define in the book than in the film, the turn around is that we get more insight into his life than in the book too - weird both mediums have a similar problem in their own way. Big Daddy and Hit Girls origin, turns out in the end, turns out to be a sham, although at first they are virtually identical between book and film, this twist isn't really addressed in the book so you're either looking to believe it or it might have been a ruse, but given the cast overall, I would believe the twist cause it seems more likely. I actually like the Hit Girl in the movie better for some reason, and their portrayal of her and her dad's relationship. Kick-Ass pretty much remains the same although in the movie he's a little less of the loser type.

Events: A lot of similar events take place between both mediums, although what's really happening, or why it happened, varies between the two. The book has more going on while Kick-Ass learns the ropes, where as the movie is a stripped down, a tad more Hollywood polish, to it's own version. Really what this comes down to, as you'll again and again with 'trying' to compare the two, it's all down to preference and what you liked better.

Artwork. Mark Millar is not unknown to the comic world and his deception of these characters is well done and just comic book-y enough yet realistic enough to work. Believe it or not, the film's costumes look more super heroic than the book, whereas in the book it's much more simplified.

Violence/Sex: The movie was super action pack full of violence, but the book takes it further in it's depictions of decapitations and testicles on a skillet action. The book also, to my memory, has lots more sex, although there was sex in the movie, there was lesser nudity. No complaints here.

The Verdict: Like I stated before, you have to take the movie and the comic book in their own element and cannot compare because, overall, there are several key differences. So it really comes down to preference, and for me I feel I connected with the movie a lot more, probably because the performances were so well done. But the book a lot more is going on, where as the movie seem almost overly linear.

Truth: I can't chose, I chose movie for a number of reasons, cause that's my medium, but I could just as easily chose the book for another number of reasons. Honestly, stop reading this and pick up the hardcover compilation of the first eight issues, and go see the book, or vise versa, and decide for yourself. If you're a comic fan or an action fan, I don't think you'll have much to regret. Go. Do it Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment