Custom Search

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus reviewed


So I think I found a winning formula for guaranteeing to beat a mainline Final Fantasy game, buy another game of the same game's universe.  Or more understandably, when I was playing Final Fantasy X I got X-2.  I wish I had a review of X-2 waiting in the wings but the disc has some problems and I'm stuck on the very beginnings of chapter 2 but I digress.  Now since I was playing Final Fantasy VII, I thought I should get another game from the FFVII Compilation to make sure I beat FFVII this time.  Since I don't have a PSP or do mobile games, I was stuck with today's game, Dirge of Cerberus...oh boy, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  Oh, as for Advent Children, notice I said game not movie and I already seen it.  It's pretty awesome with the sound off and good enough with the sound on but I digress again.  Now, let's go be emo, crank up My Chemical Romance and cut ourselves with Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus.

It's been three years since the events of Final Fantasy VII or one year after the events of Advent Children, The WRO organization is helping out by rebuilding the world by some mysterious benefactor and Vincent Valentine is still brooding over his one true love Lucrecia.  But of course outside forces won't let him brood since this secret section of the EVIL remains of the EVIL Shinra Corporation of EVIL has come out and waged war on the surface world.  They have their reasons since they want the protomateria that resides in Vincent to contain the EVIL Chaos that resides within him so that they can go and awaken the even more EVIL Omega Weapon that'll destroy the world...yet again.  Oh, the rest of the gang is there but you get to see a lot of that guy who controlled Cait Sith.  The rest of the gang is there but aside from Yuffie and Cid, you don't see them all that much...except Aer-whatever.  She still remains dead and makes no cameo appearance in the Lifestream this time around.

Square-Enix here decided to shake things up a bit and instead of making this another RPG, it's a third-person shooter which works in theory since Vincent always used guns.  And of course in theory, communism works.  What the game pretty much amounts to is that you go to some place and shoot things, that's it.  Oh, you can punch stuff every so often but not as much as you'll be shooting.  Now there's nothing inherently wrong with this, it's just boring to play when there's no absolutely no strategy in this.  You can go in, Rambo it up and face little consequences for doing so besides dying but you don't lose all that much, you just go back a little ways and have to recollect some items and if you got a steady stream of Phoenix Downs then the dying part doesn't happen.  And then there's the fact that you get weapons but they're pretty much useless because very rarely did I switch over to any other weapon besides my default one but on the other hand, I did pimp it out quite a bit so you might have a different weapon that you'll favor.  And then there's his double jump...WHICH IS USELESS SINCE YOU CAN'T JUMP ON ANYTHING IN THE FIRST PLACE!  But on the plus side, you get to play as Cait Sith for a level...wait, no his level was horrible as your mind is able to comprehend it.

Of course, there's the story that moves this along...yeah.  Like I already mentioned all Vincent does is brood and brood and then literally interrupts the plot with more brooding in between shooting things.  I may be wrong but I thought Vincent got over Lucrecia in VII or at least stop atoning for his sins.  With Cloud turning emo in Advent Children he had an excuse since he had no time to be emo after he stopped cos-playing as Zach since he was saving the world but we have no excuse for Vincent.  And then this game goes out of its way to make sure you only play as Vincent.  Yuffie comes along and she gets knocked out or recovering from the darkness so there's that.  As for the everyone else, they have to be busy doing other parts of the plan which you're not apart of since landing far away from the target point would do that to you.

This isn't that bad of a game since  it's obvious that effort was at least made in some places, just not enough in the right places.  The game is pretty and the FMV's are comparable to Advent Children's graphics.  The voice-acting is decent.  It has nice replay value to get that 100% completion if you want to replay it.  And if you pretend it's a movie with the sound off, it's only a step below Advent Children with the sound on.  If only it had been entertaining and not ask the following questions would this game be something:

-WHY IS THERE A BRIEF SCENE OF JENOVA AND SEPHRIOTH'S FIRE WALK SINCE THEY DON'T FACTOR IN THE STORY?
-WHY WAS PLAYING AS CAIT SITH NECESSARY, GAMEPLAY-WISE OR PLOT-WISE?
-WHY CAN'T I PLAY AS THE OTHERS?  BLOWING UP MAKO REACTORS WOULD HAVE BROUGHT UP NICE MEMORIES!
-WHY AREN'T CLOUD, TIFA OR BARRET SHOWN IN ANYTHING LESS THAT FMW GRAPHICS?
-IF OMEGA CAN ONLY AWAKEN FROM A PURE LIFESTREAM, THEN WHY DID HE AWAKEN WHEN AN UNPURE PERSON WALKED IN THE LIFESTREAM?
-WHY IS SQUARE TOO LAZY TO MAKE AN EFFORT TO ACTUALLY ANIMATE RED XIII?  A CAMEO AT THE END IS PATHETIC!
-WHY DOES LUCRECIA KEEP APOLOGIZING AGAIN AND AGAIN?  NOBODY'S THAT SORRY!
-WHY CAN'T I LAND ON STUFF WHEN I JUMP?
-WHY DOES BARRET HATE SHIRTS SO MUCH?
-WHY DOES TURK VINCENT'S SUIT HAS A ZIPPER INSTEAD OF BUTTONS?
-WHO'S FUNDING THE WRO?  It's probably Rufus though.

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment