Custom Search

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Review... No Day But Today


Hello all. As I posted on Friday I had some bad news come my way, but I'm pushing on and will commit to what I've set out to do here.

On my last day of work, I was contemplating my current lot in life. Then somehow the thought occurred to me... "I live in California. Work is my life." That's sparked the review I will be having today.

RENT: The Movie.

Now before I begin I have never seen the stage play. In fact I knew almost nothing about the show except for random excerpts from other theater people I knew. But one winter my sister and an hold childhood friend of ours decided to go see this movie in the theater. And I was blown away.

All that being said, I am reviewing this as a movie alone, before having picked up the soundtrack and learning the whole freaken story.

Brief overview: RENT follows the lives of 8 new yorkers through one year of their lives as they discover what it really means to live or today, yet love for a lifetime.

And with that, onto the review.

Story: Suffice to say I was never lost. Keeping in mind that I was watching a musical I was never put off (I happen to like musicals). It flowed and maintained throughout the entire experienced.

Music: Let's face it. Part of the reason RENT has been around so long is that it's well written and kicks it up to 11 in many ways. Not only that but it relates to other people. To real people going through similar situations in their lives (this can also apply to the Story section as well).

Acting: A treat for Rent-heads is that 80% of the original cast from the original production of the play that put it on the map returned to reprise their roles. Most notable people you'd recognize is Jesse Martin of L/O fame, and Rosario Dawson from KIDS, Clerks 2, Sin City, Death Proof, etc. Most of the rest of the cast have done some movie acting, but primarily are singers and stay attuned to that career choice.
That being said, the acting from all players involved was convincing. The connected with their audience through their performances. All characters were alive and real. The performers were top notch and show why they put the show on the map in the first place. Even with the new blood, it was not unnatural.

Production value: Top notch. What a lot of people wouldn't guess is that a lot of this was filmed in the summer between New York and California with lots of digital effect work later added. Costumes looked authentic, as did extras and small roles.

Direction: Chris Columbus did a fantastic job putting this thing together and did hsi best to balance the many critical elements that makes this story what it is. Although eh did cut out a couple songs, the overall impact was not lessened by it.

Overall: RENT lives up to it's stage show predecessor. It was the right time with the right people. Sadly though not everyone is receptive to RENTs type of characters or issues that it confronts to a modern audience. But make no mistake, it is a fantastic show and I would recommend you see it if you are a an of good musicals with issues still pertinent today.

Thanks or keeping with me on this. Next time... well... we'll see what I come up with for next time ;)

1 comment:

  1. When I saw Rent in the theater, I was like you. I hadn't heard any of the songs from the play, or was familiar with the storyline. And, like you, I was blown away. It remains, in my opinion, one of the best movies of the decade. I got a chance to see the stage production about two years after first seeing the movie, and came away very impressed by the adaptation.

    ReplyDelete