Custom Search

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Devil May Cry 3 reviewed




About a month ago, I reviewed the first Devil May Cry game. I was not too kind to the game for very good reasons, in the fact that it was way too unfair to actually be any fun. But I did concede that could be a great game in this franchise but the first one wasn't it. So I went looking for the sequels, ok just 2 and 3 since I don't have a PS3 to play 4 and I found Devil May Cry 3. Now, I don't want to play things out of order but I do know that nobody, not gamers or even Capcom, acknowledge 2's existence I felt that I wasn't missing much. But I will find Devil May Cry 2, I will play it and I will review it mark my words(it's coming on the first or second Sunday in November, depending on if I can read Eclipse, Twilight III). So without further delay, let's dig into Devil May Cry 3: The Special Edition.

This game begins 10 years before the first game. Dante is setting up his demon killing shop when this bald guy with some sort of mark on half his face named Arkham, who also has two different colored eyes, comes in. Arkham says that Dante's twin brother Vergil has invited Dante to something in some huge tower that magically pops up in a crowded city. Oh and the invite itself is a demon army that wants to kill Dante...we all know that's going to happen here. So Dante goes to the tower and finds out Vergil wants to take over the world using his demon blood to open the portal between the human world and the demon world. Then there's this lady named Lady(not her real name, long story. It makes sense in context) who has two different colored eyes, like Arkham! I wonder if there's a relationship there?

So like I said before, I knew that the Devil May Cry franchise could make a great game and this is it. Playing this game and the first Devil May Cry is almost like night and day. The cameras here are very much improved. There are very few horrible camera angles designed to screw up jumping in this installment. There's even some places where you can move the camera around. It's not the best or fastest moving camera system but it is good enough to get the job done. There's also some styles in this game that let you do some things like dodge efficiently and block! Two of the most frustrating things from the first game were the lack of blocking and bad dodging so to see something done here is nice even though you can only have one style on out of six but it's still a step in the right direction.

There's a good news and bad news about the cutscenes. The bad news is that everything is competently made. There's no horrible acting, writing and only a few times does delivery stumble but nothing too severe. So there's no So Bad It's Good mentality that the first game had and that means there's no WITH LIIIIIIiiiiiiGGGgggGGGHHHhhhhHHHTTTTt!!!! But the good news is that everything is calibrated for maximum awesomeness. In this game, sitting on a chair and answering the phone is awesome. The act on putting on your coat is awesome. The act of eating pizza is awesome. The act of killing everything is awesome....more awesome than usual!

However, all is not perfect in this game. Like the other Devil May Cry's, you find some weapons to help you in your quest to kick ass. However, you will never EVER use those since your basic sword and pistols is all you need. It's like why have these weapons when you never use them. Another flaw is that the last two bosses are pretty cheap, which is frustrating coming from the fairness of the rest of the game but it's not horrible, it's just very jarring.

So you may be thinking what's so special about the Special Edition you played. So the difficulty for the Normal Edition was harder than the Japanese version in where Japanese Normal was turned into American Hard and what not. I think I would be pissed if I played that. The Special Edition makes Japan and American difficulty levels the same so Japanese Normal is now American Normal which is nice. When you beat the game, you can play the game as Vergil but apparently, it's pretty much the same game with some minor differences(I haven't played the Vergil side yet) but I'm disappointed that you don't play the game as Lady. She's awesome and I would love to see her story exclusively. The last major difference is that there's a bonus boss, Jester, who was in the Normal Edition as a character who becomes important(anything more and that's spoiling). However, the boss fights lead to a slew of plot holes and such but you do get stuff from the fights so it's not all bad.

So it is my great pleasure to say that Devil May Cry 3 is a great game. The game is pure fun, the awesomeness is through the roof and it is never boring to play. There's plenty of replay value and this game is something I will play again. And to think that the franchise all began with a hideously overrated game.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment