Custom Search

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Paramore and how they backpedaled

So it's been a few weeks since Paramore's new song "Ignorance" and something has been rumbling in my mind since I've first heard it.  That something has troubled me but I couldn't put my finger on it until a few days ago.  That something is them taking a step back from the musicianship and maturity they showed on "Decode", that Twilight song.  "Decode" actually did the almost impossible and told the story between Bella and Edward in a manner that was actually realistic with fears and doubts instead of abuse and stupidity.  It also, far and away, the best guitar work that Zac Farro, the guitarist, has ever done in the confines of Paramore.

So now they bring along "Ignorance" and the musicianship has went back in time.  Before I begin though, the lyrics to "Ignorance" is pretty good and still maintains some sort of maturity that "Decode" showed.  So at the very least, I know that Haley Williams and whoever else wrote it are good lyricists.  The song's concept does have shades of No Doubt's troubles with Haley Williams is much more memorable than the rest of the bands just like Gwen Stefani being more memorable that the rest of No Doubt, which I am not helping one bit....SHE'S HOT, especially in the "Ignorance" video with her in that sleeveless vest.

Alright, back on topic...the music and the production of "Ignorance"...huge step back.  It's not a step back to the sound of Riot! for that would mean it's hooky, catchy and instantly memorable.  It's a step back towards All We Know is Falling where the songs were cute but forgettable.  There's no hooks or riffs to grab the listener.  There's no real variety in the music.  There's not even a high energy performance to cover-up the flaws, it's just all runs into a wash of sound.  It's a nice wash of sound but it's not something you would remember.  Don't get me wrong, this song has grown on me but I still have my issues with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment